Post-Covid, please check with the venue before visiting
Want to add your own Event? Click here
Relaxed Opening @ Museum of Scottish Railways
August 20 @ 11:00 am - 12:00 pm
One event on September 10, 2022 at 11:00 am
One event on October 29, 2022 at 11:00 am
Would you or someone you know enjoy a calmer museum experience?
Friendly staff will be there to give you a warm welcome and support your visit, as you explore the museum without noisy videos to give a more relaxed environment.
This session is primarily for, but not limited to, families with autistic children; autistic young people and adults; adults living with dementia; adults and children with mental health problems; and any other visitors with sensory needs or who may prefer a more relaxed experience, plus their families, friends and carers.
The Relaxed Opening Hour includes access to the entirety of the museum. At 12:00 sound will be switched back on, but visitors to this session are welcome to remain in the museum for as long as they like.
‘Relaxed’ means the following changes will be made:
– Where possible, loud sounds from audiovisual displays, interactives and films will be reduced or switched off.
– A Sensory Map of the museum is available to help you learn about sound levels, lighting levels, tactile opportunities and which galleries are more/less crowded.
– Signage around the museum, alerting visitors to the time slot being a ‘relaxed’ session, and signposting noisier and busier galleries that cannot be adapted.
Please note there are some sounds we are unable to change:
– Background sounds in Building 2
– Our talking Goods Guard in Building 2 located in the Guards Van