Post-Covid, please check with the venue before visiting
Want to add your own Event? Click here
- This event has passed.
Relaxed Viewing of Postwar Modern @ Barbican, London
May 21 @ 10:00 am - 11:30 am
A Relaxed Viewing of Postwar Modern
Throughout the run of the exhibition we will be hosting a small number of relaxed viewings. These are intended for anyone who may benefit from a very relaxed environment, where you can enter and exit more freely.
Carers visit for free.
A few things to know about the relaxed view:
• Exhibition capacity is reduced to allow a calmer environment
• The Front of House team are briefed on providing a more informal service
• A quiet space is provided with comfortable seating
• Advance booking is essential but visitors can arrive when they want. Just be aware that the viewing will last 90 minutes in total.
• If visitors have a particular requirement, or any questions ahead of their visit, do let us know and we will do everything we can to accommodate any requests.
Postwar Modern is a revelatory new take on art in Britain after the Second World War, a period when artists had to make sense of an entirely altered world. The exhibition explores the art produced in Britain in the wake of a cataclysmic war. Certainty was gone, and the aftershocks continued, but there was also hope for a better tomorrow. These conditions gave rise to an incredible richness of imagery, forms and materials in the years that followed.
Focusing on ‘the new’, Postwar Modern features 48 artists and around 200 works of painting, sculpture, photography, collage and installation. As well as reconsidering well-known figures, the exhibition foregrounds artists who came to Britain as refugees from Nazism or as migrants from a crumbling empire, in addition to female artists who have tended to be overlooked.
- May 21
10:00 am - 11:30 am
- Event Category:
May 28 @ 8:30 am - 10:00 am
May 30 @ 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
May 30 @ 11:00 am - 1:30 pm